Media covers different portions such as advertising, broadcasting and networking, news, print and publication, digital, recording, and motion pictures. Each of these has its own infrastructure.
Visit Wibest Brokers List for more information
Media companies operate within these streams and provide products and services to end users from individuals to large organizations. The following are the top 10 global media companies.
In June 2018, AT&T acquired Time Warner Inc., and through that, it gained the following properties:
- Networks such as Turner Broadcasting and HBO, which includes brands like TNT, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, and related websites.
- Filmed Entertainment, including movies, TV series, and video games under Warner Bros.
- Publishing, including books, magazine publications, and related websites
In the year 2015, it acquired DirecTV and held operations across the US and Latin America. DirecTV is a digital TV service provider via satellite network.
Walt Disney is a large media and entertainment group with multiple subsidiaries and an international presence.
Walt Disney was founded in 1923 and is currently headquartered in Burbank, California.
In November 2019, it launched Disney Plus, which is a streaming service offering shows and movies including vintage Disney content, original, exclusive shows, and blockbuster films.
Disney has five segments:
- Media Networks – TV, radio, cable networks, and related operations
- Parks and Resorts – theme parks, hotels, resorts, sports complex, entertainment facilities, and water sports establishments
- Studio Entertainment – live action and animated movies for distribution
- Consumer Products – licensing and retailing of trade names, properties, and characters
- Interactive Media – online and mobile games and gaming consoles
Established in 1963, Comcast ranks as one of the largest global media, entertainment, and communications companies on the NASDAQ. It has five business segments:
- Cable Communications – video, high speed internet, voice services
- Cable Networks – national and regional sports, news, international cable television networks
- Broadcast Television
- Filmed Entertainment
- Theme Parks
In 2018, after a prolonged bidding fiasco, Comcast bought UK-based Sky for $39 billion. Sky is a British satellite TV, broadband, and mobile service provider.
Charter Communications acquired Time Warner Cable in 2015, providing it with significant media presence.
Time Warner Cable Inc has a diverse portfolio of products and services. It offers video, high-speed data, and voice services across the US through broadband cable systems.
At the same time, it provides networking, advertising, and transport services. Its subsidiary company NaviSite offers IT solutions and cloud services.
Twenty-First Century Fox Inc
Twenty-First Century Fox is a company specializing in television broadcasting and film production. It has four major business segments:
- Cable Network Programming – production, licensing, program distribution, and cable and satellite broadcast
- Filmed Entertainment – film production for global licensing and distribution
- Television – broadcasting and operations of network programming and TV stations
- Direct Broadcast Satellite Television – broadcast services in Italy, Austria, and Germany
Thomson Reuters came about after two companies merged in 2008, when Canada’s The Thomson Corporation, which is a multinational company focusing on mass media, acquired Reuters Group, which houses the newswire service.
The Thomson Corporation was founded in 1934 by Roy Thomson, while Reuters was founded in 1851 by Paul Julius Reuter.
Get Wibest Broker Education for your information here